He who eats alone chokes alone. ~Proverb

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

La France Cafe & Restaurant


Best in town for: Omelette, Toasted Ciabatta.
Worst in town for: Price of ala-carte French Fries; Parking spaces

Opening times:
12.00 noon - 10.00pm

Closed on Tuesdays.


CAT: A friend of us recommended this place to us, and we promptly tried it out. La France used to be located at Northam Beach, but they have just recently moved to their new location on Irrawaddy Road.


I ordered the Toasted Ciabatta with Ham and Cheese, and was very happy with the dish. Filled with generous servings of ham, cheese, onions and tomatoes; nicely toasted on the outside but still soft on the inside, it's pretty much perfect. The dish comes with a side order of Sauteed Potatoes, which is really tasty from the herbs and spices that they add. Back when I was a kid, I used to love the Toasted Foccacia at Dave's Deli in 1-stop (hands up those of you who remember that!). La France's Ciabatta is really similar to that dish I loved long ago, but it's even better!


Croq Ham and Cheese (RM10.80)

A friend of ours who tagged along ordered the ala-carte French Fries, which is really not worth it at RM5.90 This is because all Omelettes also come with a (smaller) portion of Fries, but only cost RM10 - RM12.

Pommes Frites (RM5.90)

BEAR: I ordered the Salade aux Lardons (with Bacon) for RM7.90 and it was delicious! The portion wasn't very big but there was a generous amount of bacon and walnuts. Unlike the usual typical sour-ish vinegar French dressing, this had a sour-ish mustard taste.

Salad aux Lardons (RM7.90)

My main meal was the Omelette Forestiere. I must say, this is the fluffiest omelette I have ever had. I bet the eggs were beaten to an inch of their life for the omelette to come up so fluffy! It was filled with mushrooms and bacon (again!) and tasted really good. This is definitely something that I'll order again the next time CAT brings me here.

Omelette Forestiere (RM12.50)

Being greedy, I ordered the Eclair au Cafe/Chocolat and .. regretted it. It was not exactly what I had in mind. It turned out huge which usually isn't a problem for me since I believe that there's always room for dessert since dessert goes into a separate stomach.


Eclair au Cafe/Chocolat (RM5.80)
The Eclair was filled with chocolate cream in one half and coffee cream in the other. I cut into it and the melted cream gushed out. The pastry was nothing to shout about and upon reaching the half way point, the coffee cream was light, fluffy and very delicious but by then, it was already too much even for me.

This would have been perfect if I had not ordered the salad and omelette. This would have been perfect with just a cup of coffee.

Homemade Brownie (RM7.50)

We also shared the Homemade Brownie, which seemed rather expensive at RM7.50, but was very well done. Soft and moist and served with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream, it was a nice way to end a meal, and much better than the Eclair.





View La France in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment

We like food. You like food? :D